To the east of Aquileia stood the Benedictine nunnery of St Mary, echoes of which remain today in the district’s name (Monastero). It was documented as far back as the 9th century. This large complex comprised a rectangular cloister with a portico and the nuns’ cells; the church with its bell tower was entered from the west. Suppressed in 1782, the convent was turned into an agricultural business in 1852, and the church became a large room for winemaking and grape storage. The 1895 and 1949 digs showed that the convent church had been constructed over an early-Christian religious building (5th century ad), which had an apse, a narthex at the front, and a splendid polychrome mosaic floor. The remains of the original complex have been visible since 1961 in the outhouse, which is also home to the Early-Christian museum.