Medieval Aquileia -
The Bertoli House at Aquileia. Photo by © Gianluca Baronchelli
Along the avenue leading to the Capitoline Square and the basilica, the visitor’s eye is drawn to the Bertoli house. It is named after Canon Gian Domenico Bertoli, who lived here in the 18th century and published one of the first antiquarian studies on the ancient city. The building dates back at least to the 13th century and was rebuilt and embellished several times over the centuries, as home to various Canons of Aquileia. One of the deans of the Capitolo, Doimo Valvason, had the facade decorated in 1478 with a white-and-red check motif; he also added the fine cross-window in the central main hall, which can still be seen over the carriage gate. Other work was done in the 17th century, primarily in the southern part of the building.
torna a Medieval Aquileia
- Address: Piazza Capitolo 1, Aquileia (UD)