The only part of the necropolis that can currently be visited in Aquileia comprises five burial enclosures laid out along a secondary road leading out of the city. Of different lengths but equal depth, they belonged to different Aquileian families (Stazius, anonymous, Julius, Trebius and Cestius). From the monuments still visible today and the tombs that have been excavated (1940–41), the enclosures were used from the 1st century ad onwards. The fourth of these areas was used at least until the 4th–5th century. We know this from various late-imperial sarcophagi, some of which are mounted on brick pillars to show the original level where they were found.